Teaching Our Kids Through Football
My boys have always been interested in sports, but this year the scale tipped to outright football fanatics. It might be in-part to our favorite team, the Carolina Panthers and their winning streak season (Yay!!) or maybe their passion for sports is stronger than cartoon watching. Whatever the reason, I am harnessing their preference and using it as a teaching tool.
During every game we watch, I ask the boys to look for at least 3 teaching points. Teaching points include sportsmanship, playing by the rules, prayer, determination, and most of all having fun. You can’t deny that there are many similarities between football and life, so with every teaching point I try to instill a life lesson.
Here are a few of the teaching points my boys learned during the Carolina Panthers football season:
- Sportsmanship– Helping up the opponent after the play is completed. It’s the “golden rule” in sports, yet it can be applied on and off the field. Do unto others as you would have them to do to you.
- Prayer– God is bigger than us. It takes a strong player to sack the quarterback, but it takes an even stronger person to humble themselves before God. “Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.” (James 4:10)
- Following the Rules– A near touchdown punt return was overturned due to a penalty. Play by the rules and you’ll score more points. Cheaters never prosper.
- Determination – Keep Pounding is the term the Panthers use, but determination is also about playing your best against all odds. Never give up. If it at first you don’t succeed, Try, try again!
- Have fun! Football is a game. It’s fun to play and exciting to watch. I like watching the Carolina Panther’s quarterback, Cam Newton play. He always has a smile on his face, he dances in the end zone, and he gives the touch down balls to kids in the stands. Life isn’t always fun and games, but the key is to look for the sunshine after the storms. Or better yet, learn to dance in the rain.
What teaching points would you add to the list?
Follow me on Twitter for live tweeting teaching points during Carolina Panthers’ games.